Blog Archive

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Jamaica Me Crazy

Wow what a trip. After a few minimal sleep nights, 90 degree and high humidity, and a track with a constant head wind, I finished at 4th place in the NACAC Championships.

So it wasn't the best of conditions, but we had fun anyway. The USA team survived the meet and even through the tough times put up some decent marks. My finishing score was close to 7400, but I got through healthy and ready to compete at USA Championships in three weeks.

Everything I did just lacked the fire in my legs that I had a week and a half ago at Claremont. I thought it would be possible to fully recover in that amount of time but that truth was the Jamaica meet just felt flat. A good experience nonetheless as you never know what to expect when you travel to a new country to compete. Meet officials told us that is was the first decathlon ever to be held in Jamaica's history so the timing and and the accommodations during the meet really weren't too ideal. Even though that was the case it was still great to get in another competition before USA Championships. Here's a few pics from the trip, our dorm room seen here:




The dining facility er cafeteria:




Heading up to the track:




Here's a video of the Usain Bolt Track Facility, built so it has a strong headwind 100% of the time:

YouTube Video


Waiting for the food:




And last but not least Chris Helwick drinking some local coconut juice straight from the source:




All in all it is always exciting to be a part of the USA Team and to represent your country. Even though the meet was rough it was still a great competition and much to learn and prepare for the next one.

As of now I am back is SLO county and recovering from the trip. For the next three weeks leading up to USA's the key word is "speed". I am in good running shape and have the strength needed to compete well in all the events, the next piece of the puzzle is making sure my speed comes around and I am ready to roll. Stay tuned for more practice updates and videos, thanks to all for tuning in, checking results, and all the messages of encouragement!!

No comments:

Post a Comment